Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sat, 24 Apr 1999 10:36:47 -0500
From:
Dawn Gsoell <[log in to unmask]>
Dear FML,
No, this post is not about renting sick ferrets.  I have three things I
want to talk about and I'll try to keep each brief.

First, I have been the on-site manager of a 42 unit apartment building in
Minnesota for over 9 years.  I have 7 ferrets.  My boss (the property
manager) visits my apartment regularily.  She thinks I only have 3 ferrets,
because I have three colors of ferrets.  A silver, a strange blonde colored
ferret, and 5 sables.  Because I know she generally stops by in the morning
I keep my ferrets caged until she's gone.  In any case, her official policy
is that if "it" lives in a cage you can have it.  She does not allow dogs
or cats.

We do not charge extra deposits or rent.  From a management standpoint the
practice of doing so is both pro and con.  Since this is not a property
management forum I won't go into that.  We all know that ferrets are fine
apartment pets, and with any pet it is not the pet but the owner that
matters.  My ferrets have damaged my apartment, and I am prepared to pay
for those damages when I move.  The damage is to the carpet, and someday I
hope to live someplace that is not carpeted, since I never plan to live
without ferrets.

My stability as on-site manager may be the exception rather than the rule.
From what I hear these jobs typically turn over frequently, and management
companies come and go.  My advice to anyone who has ferrets against the
terms of their lease, or is otherwise lacking official permission to keep
ferrets is to keep them in a bedroom, in a cage when you are not home.  The
bedroom is the least likely room to need maintenance.  Face it, if you get
found out the worst thing that can happen is that you have to move.  So
what?  I don't mean to make light of the hassles of moving.  But moving is
not as bad as giving up the ferrets.  In my humble opinion.

Well, that was not short, so I'll have to make this short.  I have a 7 year
old ferret foster kid who has adrenal.  Ziggy was bald last fall and early
winter.  He has been on Lysodren (1/4 tablet) once a week since November,
his coat has grown back and he appears to be the picture of health.  I have
a special shelter adopted ferret (Samuarai/Sammy) who recently had a mild
seizure, his blood sugar was tested and judged suspect so he is now taking
prednisone.  I need more info on Adrenal, Lympho type diseases and on the
drugs I am giving these guys.  Sammy is skinny, and not himself.  I
especially need to know more about his illness.

Thanks ferret people for being here when I need you.  Dawn