Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 20 Apr 1999 11:16:16 -0500
From:
Nancy Stenson <[log in to unmask]>
OK, since there seems to be a nerdy category, I'd best own up.  Our first
born is Adjective (I'm a linguist).  As we were driving home with him,
tossing about boring name ideas like 'goldy' and 'nugget', for his
undercoat color, my husband, a computer geek, made an obviously silly
suggestion which I now forget, having to do with computers.  So in reply I
said "How about Adjective" Husband said "Arrgh'.  Daughter said "I like it"
and that was that.  Later, too late,I realized that 'Infix' would have been
a much better name for a ferret (an infix is like a prefix or suffix, but
stuck into the middle of a word--as in 'fan-effing-tastic'--this is the
only English infix, but other languages have lots more).  Oh well, another
time.

We often amuse ourselves by thinking up new ferret names, even though we've
reached our limit for now.  Gotta say, we recently hit on the Greek letters
idea, too, especially Epsilon, while driving by some frat houses on campus.
My daughter was very disappointed that someone had beaten us to it.  Way to
go.

Nan cy

Nancy Stenson
Institute of Linguistics and Asian and Slavic Languages and Literatures
190 Klaeber Court
320 SE 16th Ave.
Minneapolis, MN 55455

Phone: (612) 624-2529