Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 25 Mar 1999 11:04:56 -0500
From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Here's a long story with a happy ending.  Like all of us I hear stories of
people putting up large amounts of money towards vet bills and though to
myself if something like that happened I would never spend that amount --
but you never know until it's your own.  Last October my feistiest ferret
Rascal came down with some unexplainable illness.  Rascal is a beautiful
silverish mitt.  I have gone through hell and back with this little
monster.  He was a brutal biter, no one was safe!  He consistently drew
blood.  He was so nasty that I considered getting rid of him, but I feared
for him being mistreated because of his horrible behavior so I couldn't
risk that.  I had a growth removed from his foot at about 9 months (looked
like an extra toe), the next Thanksgiving somehow he literally sliced open
the skin on his stomach, very deep.  It was thanksgiving so I couldn't find
a vet so he endured until the next day when I got a call back.

Well anyway almost a year after that I noticed him jump off the couch and
his front legs were not strong enough so he collapsed.  I knew something
was wrong, went immediately to the vet.  They saw nothing wrong where he
was eating and drinking.  They said keep an eye on him.  By two days later
he couldn't stand, went back to the vet and they said, "he looks depressed"
they ran tests and did exrays and again found nothing.  They mentioned (and
assumed) distemper because of a change of skin texture on his hind feet.
They gave him some fluids and sent him home.  I was getting neurotic!
About a week went by, I spoke with the vet a few times on the phone and she
kept saying wait it out.  He was so weak that each morning when I woke up
and each evening I came home from work I expected to find him gone.  He was
now having trouble breathing.  To the vets again with no results, I went to
work that morning and from work called my husband and begged him to bring
the ferret back to the vet and make them keep him there.  Well Rascal went
into intensive care.  I visited him at least once a day and pet him for
hours.  It was so heart warming to see this ferret that was to weak to move
to lift his head when he heard my voice.  The vets (3 of them) still could
find nothing and my beautiful little Rascal was dying and no one could save
him.  I was called into the director's office and told what the bill was,
they so no improvement so I need to make some decisions and pay up.  I was
in shock so gave Rascal a kiss and went home to think.

That morning on my ride into work I started thinking about his sweet little
face that used to watch us from beside the television while we would be
wondering what was running through his mischievous little mind and I made a
decision -- I will not give up on my little devil child!  He was fighting
so hard to live I will fight along with him and find a vet who remembers
why they studied veterinary medicine in the first place!  I went to the vet
and brought my little Rascal home.  So desperate to find help I called a
local shelter.  That was the best thing I ever did!  Jo's response was the
most encouraging thing I ever heard -- In a very forceful voice I heard the
words "YOU DON'T NEED TO PUT THAT FERRET DOWN!" Just what I needed to hear.
She went over some of her experiences, Duck Soup recipe, feeding schedules,
and recommended some vets.  She was also available for my panicky calls
and gave me encouragement.  By this time a majority of my paycheck for the
month was spent on vet bills.  Rascal was eating Duck Soup through a
syringe, dragging himself to the "handicap access" litterbox I built for
him (he tried -- he'd get his head into the litterbox but poop with his
butt still in his bed!) but he started to bloat and still couldn't breathe.
I'm not a religious person but I prayed a lot!  I brought Rascal to the vet
recommended and in one visit the breathing issue was resolved, he had fluid
around his lungs which were making his breathing difficult so we went home,
picked up our prescription and hit the road to recovery.  No diagnosis was
ever made but the medication worked.  Several months of syringe feeding and
finally I got what was the most precious Christmas gift -- Rascal started
eating on his own.  New Year's day, he went up the stairs on his own.

Now Rascal is better than ever and I do mean BETTER!  He learned during
his illness that snuggling is good!  His biting has also lessened, my toes
thank him.  I still worry a little because he tires easy and is not as
energetic as he was but he does play and get into mischief like a trooper!

This story has gotten to long for me to tell you about SuzieQ's part in
this -- another good story for another day but she certainly motivated
Rascal to get well quickly (oh look a new toy that moves on it's own!).
For all of you worrying about an ill fuzzy, never give up!  There are
resources that you never expected and make sure you know your vet is
experienced with ferrets (and cares).  It's been months and said often but
again -- Thanks Jo from the Luv of Ferrets Shelter and thanks Dr. Karen
Purcell, Abbott Valley Animal Hospital.

[AS]