Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 24 Mar 1999 01:32:49 PST
From:
Camilla Englund <[log in to unmask]>
Hello all ferrets and their hoomans!

I wanted to tell a little about the ferret-situation in my home.

Two weeks ago we accuired a little female.  This darling creature had two
weeks before that been found outdoors and no-one has reported her missing!
(Some people should be severely punished!!)  Anyway, we obvously know
nothing about her history, but she is probably around 6 months old and
she's not spayed.  (That will be taken care of on Monday along with her
first distemper-shot.)

She is beautiful!  I'm not too good at describing color, but I guess she's
a light sable point or a dark silver (does that make any sense?).  White
undercoat and black markings, but the black is only at the very tip of each
hair, so she looks a light grey color and her mask is very light... She
weights around 650 grams, her appetite were unbelivable at first, but she
seems to have calmed down a little now.  Her fur is very soft and thick.
She is very shy and calm, apart from a severe bite resulting from me
sticking my hand in the middle of a ferret-fight (stupid me) :), she has
been really sweet.  We try to pick her up a lot and talk to her and I think
she's a little more certain of us now, though we probably has a way to go
until she feels totally secure.

I have a question when it comes to intergration.  My two males (neutered,
almost two years old) began fighting her rather heavily, but after a
couple of days it slowed down from their side.  She responded by screaming
(LOUDLY!!), pooping and poofing.  After one week, they all shared the same
cage, and the boys didn't fight her - but she did!  She SCREAMS when they
get too close, and now (after two weeks) she sometimes screams and attacks
when she want to sleep alone.  The boys are letting her get away with it,
often running from her, but they can't be terrified since they've made a
few attempts of playing with her (which she don't like).  I place them
together sometimes when all are tired and they CAN sleep together, but
sooner or later she drives them out.

My question is, it seems to be less screaming and longer times between her
attacks, but how long can I expect until she really accepts them?  I know
it's individual, but if someone has a guess I'd like to hear it.

Thanks!

Millan (Can't you all get along?)
Ozzy (Mom, why is she so loud?)
Obelix (Let's play - ouch, my ears!)