Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 18 Mar 1999 11:36:29 -0500
From:
Nancy Stenson <[log in to unmask]>
>I have been to an allergist and tested positive that I was allergic to
>dust mites, and cats, among other things.  So, I am a little worried about
>getting a ferret.  People at the pet stores have told me there is know way
>to be sure if I am allergic to ferrets because I am allergic to cats, and
>the allergist doesn't have a test for ferrets.  So you say I should just
>hold one and see, but with cats I don't get a reaction unless I am exposed
>to them for a long period....  Is ferret and cat fur similar?

I'm allergic to all that stuff, too, and cats are the worst.  But I've had
ferrets for four years without difficulty.  Sometimes I'll have what seems
to be a reaction if I handle them a lot, but since I'm allergic to so
many other environmental things, who knows if it's really the ferrets.  I
certainly don't react to them anything like the way I react to cats.  Now,
I'm told everyone's different on this, so no guarantees here for you.  You
might try a round of ferret-sitting or fostering or helping out at a
shelter to test the waters before getting a pet of your own if you are
uncertain.  That would give you the extended contact you need without the
long-term commitment, in case you do have a reaction.  Good luck.

Nancy

Nancy Stenson
Institute of Linguistics and Asian and Slavic Languages and Literatures
190 Klaeber Court
320 SE 16th Ave.
Minneapolis, MN 55455

Phone: (612) 624-2529