Date:
Fri, 29 Jan 1999 18:15:53 -0600
I have only been on the FML for a short time, and I see all the "Domestical
and Domesticated" stuff on Ferrets and peoples opions on the subject.  I
have only had my Ferrets for a short period of time as well.  (I have 6 and
1 Stays with me while her owner is out of town) My Ferrets aren't "Nippy"
and I've done nothing to "train" them, I just enjoy watching them play and
jump around on the sofa and be "Ferrets" they let me hold them, snuggle
with them, and play with them.  Someone said that (if I remember correctly)
Ferrets are trained to not bite.  My ferrets nipped me when I first brought
them home, but that lasted about a week.  I get the occasional "mouthing"
(they put thier teeth on my finger and pull my hand to a corner) but that
doesnt hurt or even scratch.  Maybe you would think it was a "rare" Ferret
behavior, but all 6 have the same temperment.

Another thought on this.  I know there are "Nippy" ferrets and some people
think they shouldn't be allowed as pets for whatever thier reasons, But
have you ever handled a hamster?  I haven't heard of people complaining
about Hamsters being Illegal, yet they can carry diseases, and they DO
bite, and when they bite they draw Blood.  Even the first week I had my
ferrets and they were "nippy" the only thing that drew blood was thier
toenails (the PetShop didnt trim them regularly) People have Mice and Rats
as pets.  Those pets aren't as "clean" as Ferrets.  I'm not putting down
Hamsters/Mice/Rats, I have 2 hamsters, and I would rather my 2 kids play
with the Ferrets (which they do all the time) then the hamsters.  The
Ferrets Dont hurt the kids, they just play together, chase them around the
room, all the Hamsters ever do is Bite thier fingers (drawing blood).  I
also have a Guina Pig, who is a biter.

My question is Why do people pick on the Ferret when there are alot of
other animals out there Biting harder and "less" domesticated?

(hope I didn't step on any toes)
Chrissy