From:
Date:
Thu, 21 Jan 1999 20:16:01 EST
Hello all,
First I need to get some overdue thanks yous out: to Pat & Tess, (tried to
e-mail a thank you but I have your address wrong) for the homemade blankees
and toys the ferrets love them!, to Josephine for lining my cages with
lineolum, cleaning is done in record time!!!  To Emma K from De.  for the
toys, shampoo and stuff, and to Nancy W.  from my home state of Mass.
those sleep sacks are great.  all in use as we speak!  and to everyone else
that has helped with the shelter in any way THANKS!

A few days ago I had one of the ferrets here Kish get very sick, he seemed
to be agonal (sp) breathing.  Kish had come to me with a hugh mass in his
abdomen and 6-7 yrs old.  I was debating surgery at his age.  Well Sat
morning the laboured breathing started, I was sick so my boyfriend rushed
him to our vet, when he left i thought that it was time for Kish to go over
the Rainbow Bridge.  He was ok the night before, no signs of any problems.
When he arrived at the clinic his temp was 107, the vet wasn't there yet
but the techs were.  They responed quickly and got his temp lowered with
cool water baths.  When the vet Dr. St.  Erne arrived they started him on
fluids and meds.  Keep in mind when he left me he was in severe condition!
Later that day the doc called me, as I had requested an necropsy...well
when he said that Kish was resting comfortably and eating and alert, I had
to hold back the tears and I was speechless!  The vet told me that if
remained in good spirits and was doing well on tues that he would go in and
do the surgery.  Well, tues comes, hes doing great, surgery time, there was
a small suspicion that it may have been an enlarged spleen.

When he opened him up he couldn't find the spleen?  what?  The spleen, at
another time in the ferrets life had been torn, split in two, Yep I know
how did he survive?  Who knows?  The pieces were connected by scar tissue,
both halves were grossly enlarged.  Everything else checked out ok.  My vet
had the surgery filmed and has never seen anything quite like that, he has
been doing exotic practice for many many years.  Needless to say Dr. St.
Erne is my miracle worker!  Kish is back here at the shelter, doing great
walking around the house.  Spoiled by the vet staff that fed him A/D for 5
days!

I guess what is really weird about this is, that Kishes mom called the vet
clinic where Sam pres of the ferret club works, was going to put Kish to
sleep because she was dying and didn't want Kish to go to a bad home.
Sam talked her out of it and the ferret came to me.  so, now I sit here
and think, well he should have died from the ruptured spleen when that
happened, he escaped euthansia, survived a high fever and surgery?  I see
alot of miracles here at the shelter, but none like Kish.  I think he has
survived because of his mothers love, what else can it be?  I think the day
that Kish passes over the rainbow bridge it will only be because he knows
she is there waiting for him with open arms.  Anyone have any better ideas?
Another ferret mystery.....

Take care fuzzy lovers and give your babies major kisses tonight, your love
helps keep them alive....I truly believe that.

CJ
24 Carat Ferret Rescue and Shelter
where ferrets are treated like gold....
cause we are, silly mommy...the fer-rat pack of las vegas

To help the ferrets please register at iGive by cutting and pasting this
link http://www.iGive.com/html/ssi.cfm?cid=4441&mid=43677