From:
Leigh Whitaker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Jan 1999 18:59:43 EST
Thank you, to all the people who responded to my post about the ferret with
the eye problem (Erin, Sarah, Jadesun, Sukie, Adam, OutlawDook, Kat, and
Plashette).  I don't have time to write you all back personally :o( , but
here's how the story has ended up...

I think the problem has been solved, and it's kind of funny.  I discussed
it more with my husband and he said he wouldn't try to stop me.  I told him
I probably wouldn't get her or I might get her and pay for her vet bills
then try to find her another family, (since he worries about getting in
over our heads for vet bills in the future when we have geriatric ferrets).
I kept thinking about it all day then when I went for lunch I found myself
driving towards the pet store.  I kept saying I'll just go to get lunch
somewhere in the area and think about it.  Well, I drove straight to the
pet store.  She wasn't there.  I asked around, thinking "maybe they've
taken her to the vet."  They said "Oh, we must have sold it."  I said "No
way are you going to have sold a sick adult ferret when there's a bouncing
cage of babies there."  They checked the records and sure enough the sales
guy I expressed my concern to the night before had bought her and taken her
home!

The funny thing is that when I got home my husband said "I went to the pet
store to get that ferret for you for your birthday, but I couldn't find the
one you were talking about."  Wasn't that sweet??

I'll try to go back to the store later on and talk to the guy again to see
how she's doing.

Happy Ending, so far!
Leigh

BTW, special thanks to those who wrote in telling about who to contact in
negligent care situations.  I visit all the pet stores in my area that
carry ferrets fairly regularly and I will keep this information saved just
in case.  To be honest, most of the pet stores in this area a well run and
the staff members do genuinely care for the health of their animals, but
with so many ferrets in stock it's hard for them to notice individual
problems.  I've been told by several pet stores in the area that the big
M word (Marshalls) sends them shipments of babies without them placing an
order.  This has always been the explanation I get when I ask why there's
so many ferrets in the store?  What's up with that?