From:
Sherrie Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Jan 1999 19:36:57 -0700
Sorry I'm a little behind on the FML.  So sad to hear about Timmy and da'
Dodge, they were both very special.  I had an unexpected loss this past
weekend, so I'm a little shell-shocked, still .  I was watching a poor
little adrenal girl for a friend who knows virtually nothing about ferrets,
and got her from someone else who knew nothing about ferrets; (how could
one not know *something* was wrong with poor Natasha?  Hair loss, swollen
vulva w/discharge, delicate itchy, scratchy skin, muscle weakness...and
being fed cheap cat food, so her fur was tinted yellow, and I made her a
hammy to sleep in since she'd never had one.) I took her to the vet w/my 2
girls for a checkup, to see what we were up against.  She'd seemed less
than lively that morning, but I thought it was just from being dragged out
of bed so early!  Vet felt a mass in her abdomen, we talked blood tests,
possible exploratory.  Within 45 mins she'd gone into shock and died.  She
died with me holding her with a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel.  At
least she seemed to not be in pain, just went peacefully.  Necropsy showed
ruptured adrenal tumor, walnut-sized.  After examining the tumor the vet
said she probably wouldn't have had much more than a week or so left, it
was very fragile and friable.  How to tell her owner?  He took it pretty
well, once I explained it all to him.  We buried her today near a waterfall
with a little pond nearby, with her furry mouse tucked under her paw.  Very
sad.  I can only hope she had a better last couple weeks than she could
have had.  She got out to play, and meet my two girls, Dweezil and Sylvi.
This was my first ferret-death, I don't know how I'm going to deal with my
own darling girls when it's their time.  I'm typing this at work and trying
to keep my tears at bay...sorry this is so long.

I guess the best way to make sure a departed loved one is never truly gone
is to always remember them.

Timmy will be remembered for the legacy he left for other ailing fuzzies
(Timmy's Tonic) and da' Dodge for reminding us that even though we're grown
up, we can still act childish.  Natasha will remind me to cherish every
moment, you don't know when it may be your (or someone you love's) last.

Sherrie,
Dweezil,
Sylvi.
Natasha at the Bridge 01/02/99