From:
[log in to unmask][log in to unmask] 9904 9661 36 37_Amorous Fert loving his toy too much!41_Juliana Quadrozzi - FERRET BUSINESS of [log in to unmask], 8 Apr 1999 23:18:51 -0400624_- >From: Sari Diane <Sari [log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Amorous Felt loving his toy too much!

I read your post & had to laugh. My gorgeous foster Barrette, a big,
burley, macho man, also has a love of his life. When he was surrendered I
had my standard ferret profile filled out for him. She listed "Elmo" under
/favorite toys/. Favorite is an understatement. Barrette, who has a
female cage mate, is totally obsessed with a little, red, stuffed Elmo doll
who's just about his size. He doesn't (cover your eyes kids) hump, but he
wraps himself around Elmo & hangs on for [...]46_8Apr199923:18:[log in to unmask] 9904 9698 60 38_Thanks, Mod. Fert., and Adrenal Probs.12_meagan [log in to unmask], 8 Apr 1999 08:29:55 PDT449_- hi everyone!

I have to say thanks again to EVERYONE who was so wonderful in helping me
diagnose keera, find a doc., emailing me on WHAT to do after the surgery...

Keera's stitches are out and she couldn't be bothered with everything I
did for her! I aged a few years in a short little weekend on my trip to
Potomac MD---but i think the emergence of the wrinkles only shows how much
i absolutely LOVE my ferrets!! :) [...]38_8Apr199908:29:[log in to unmask] 9904 9759 35 2_JJ15_Robert [log in to unmask], 8 Apr 1999 18:43:37 -0400523_- I want to thank everyone who wrote with all the support about JJ. I took
him for a second opinion this morning/ Doc really confirmed what the other
one said but said it nicer and more complete. The mass is on his spleen
and growing into his intestions. Given his age (6 or 7) he really doen't
think surgery would do any good. It's gone soo far. But he did say that
after reading his file it seems that the swelling is going down. Asked me
what I was doing and I gave him all the ins and outs. Said [...]33_8Apr199918:43:[log in to unmask] 9904 9795 24 22_something [blue tummy]13_Paula [log in to unmask], 8 Apr 1999 19:08:35 -0500388_- Can anyone give me a clue as to what might be going on with Banditt, he
is about 4 months old and kind of on the chubby side. This morning he
was out playing and I noticed that half of his tummy is blue is this
normal. He is a dark sable and kind of slow. He also has a hacking
type noise that he does, what is that from?????Any help would be
appreciated very much. [...]41_8Apr199919:08:[log in to unmask] 9904 9820 17 30_Temperature ranges for ferrets15_Elizabeth [log in to unmask], 8 Apr 1999 10:01:21 -0500350_- I want to place my ferrets' cage outside for a while in the spring in order
to clean out rooms and carpet, etc. If the animal is kept out of the
direct sun, rain, elements, etc. what kind of temperature ranges can a
ferret handle? Obviously, I do not want to stress the ferret, but I am
hoping to leave them out for a week or two. [
Date:
Thu, 8 Apr 1999 08:53:58 -0400
For Humans: There are new and improved (soon to be) over the counter
treatments for ringworm/athlete's foot/jock itch that are very safe and
effective with a short duration of treatment (depending on the causative
organism).  Check with your doctor or pharmacist.

Ringworm in ferrets should be able to be treated with a topical agent.  My
cat used to lick the spray off his foot, and this caused a longer treatment
period.  Make sure that the ferret is not cleaning the spray/cream off.
Ringworm is a fungal infection most likely caused microsporon canis in pets
(but has other causes in humans).  M.  canis is more difficult to treat
than other causative organisms.  It can be passed from the ferret (dog or
cat) to humans, but does not usually get passed from human to human like
other organisms that cause ringworm, such as trichophyton rubrum (which
does not usually cause ringworm in ferrets).

Cleaning the infection site before applying the medicine is a good idea,
however NEVER NEVER NEVER clean it with alcohol.  Ringworm usually causes a
bit of scaling/cracking of the skin, and applying alcohol could cause the
ferret a great deal of burning.

I don't have experience in the life of these organisms when they are off
the host, but 2 years sounds a bit excessive.

Ringworm can be treated orally.  Griseofulvin, as mentioned in a previous
post, can clear it up.  However, in my experience, it is not necessary.

Tony