From:
Derek & Amy Flemming <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Mar 1999 23:09:15 -0500
Hi all,

Just wanted to thank everybody for helping our shelter raise money at the
Three Rivers Show.  Just wanted to let everybody know that the little girl
we were raising the money for surgery crossed the rainbow bridge today.

Trudy was a chocolate MF that was 4 or 5 years old (and now believed to
be older).  She had just lost her lifetime cagemate to lymphoma.  She was
pretty depressed when she came into our shelter.  She made friends with
some ferrets that were in our shelter and happily explored every nook and
crany.  She would just sit in my lap when I trimmed her nails or cleaned
her ears (without scruffing!) and sigh.  Suddenly Trudy started to loose
weight.  She stopped eating and drinking unless I forced her.  This
continued for over a week.  We did everything we could, but the poor girl
just gave up.  We were so confused as she had been so active and fat two
weeks prior.

We made the hard decission to let her go to play with Rudy, her recently
passed best friend.  We had a patho done on her and what a surprise!  Trudy
had many things wrong with her.  She had a 'U' shaped adrenal tumor on her
RIGHT gland only.  My vet said it was the biggest adrenal tumor he had ever
seen.  (She had no hairloss, swollen vulva, aggression, or signs of anemia)
It would have been impossible to remove the whole tumor - it was wrapped
around her arorta.  Trudy had heart problems, liver damage, kiddney cysts,
a tiny spleen, and - one single heartworm.

I am sad at her passing, but know she had a good last few days with us.
When I would force feed her she would look so sad.  After being fed, she
would curl up in my arms and go to sleep - and snore.  She was a really
sweet girl and I feel that she is happier now that she feels "right" and is
back dooking and dancing with her friend.

Amy Flemming

Flemming Farms - Michigan, USA
Breeding for Quality Ferrets
American, Australian, German, and New Zealand bloodlines
Come see us at http://www.geocities.com/heartland/ranch/9521

Weasel Watchers Ferret Rescue - Michigan, USA
Helping Needy Weasels

"For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism"