Date:
Wed, 10 Mar 1999 09:09:41 -0500
I know I'm a few days late in responding to this, but here goes, anyway.
It's been bothering me ever since I read Barb's note in Saturday's FML
saying that she hadn't wanted a rabbit (as a pet) because "all they do is
sit there".

Not true!  That's about as truthful as saying that all ferrets do is "sit
there".  Rabbits are intelligent, active, playful, and most of them LOVE
human attention as well.  My rabbit can figure out how to climb a series of
boxes to get to a higher point, and has even been known to push a box
around to build himself a "stepstool" to get to something he wanted.  He
answers to his name, and expresses himself by throwing things.  If I give
him food he doesn't like, he gets mad and throws it in his litterbox (yes,
they can be litterbox trained), and if he's mad at me, he sometimes throws
things at me as well.  He also recognizes basic words and phrases like "get
down from there", "oh, no you don't!", "would you like a raisin", and
"Wally, come here!"  (He's far more responsive to them than my ferrets,
actually).

Please don't think that all rabbits do is "sit there"; it's not true at
all.  My bunny is very vivacious, as are the rabbits my friends have as
well.  They get bad PR just like ferrets do sometimes .... but if you take
the time to get to know rabbits, you'll discover there's much more to them
than most people suspect. :->

- Ela