From:
Raymond Hicks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Mar 1999 04:09:07 -0000
Bath Time:
I never really bathe my ferrets but maybe every three or four months.  I
used to bath them every week but since I lowered it to every three or so
months, they don't seem to smell as bad.  I've also noticed that the
decrease in the baths has made their coats look healthier.  When I do bath
them, I give them about 3.5 to four inches of water at the middle of the
tub.  That equals close to two inches at the end and 4.5-five at the drain.
I never leave them alone during this time.  The two inches of water keeps
them from trying to jump out (stand...leap...splash).  Everywhere else,
they have to swim.  Neko loves to swim.  She looks like one of those wind
up water toys.  Nosey just sits there and looks at me with those sad eyes
which I promptly fix with a good scratch on the neck.  He loves that so
much that after only about 5 seconds of scratching, he goes almost limp and
then realizes he's in water and jumps up real quick, shakes his head and
goes limp again (silly boy!!)

Nails:
I've only had one problem with nails on my ferrets.  My oldest (Nosey)
hopped in the cage on his own one day and somehow managed to get one of
his hind feet nails caught in a cage wire corner.  Fortunately, he got out
without harm before I could get to him.  My bigger concern is the the shelf
I attached to the inside of the cage.  This shelf seems to give them a
little more room and definately more play area.  Unfortunately, it's that
metal shelving stuff that's coated in white something that you can put in
your closet.  The white coating isn't a problem.  It was originally in a my
rabbit's cage and he chewwed most of it off (never seemed to hurt him and I
couldn't keep him from doing it).  The problem is that it's wire and little
legs can get caught in it.  In fact, Nosey got his hind leg caught in it
last week on his way day for some food.  He started squallin' like there
wasn't "no tomorrow." Again, he got out of trouble before I could get to
him.  No broken bones (but I almost needed a tranquilizer after that...).

Illness:
Fortunately, I have owned three ferrets a total of 3 years and not one
illness. I fear the day though. Since I never had to experience it......
(experience is the best teacher).

Rabbits:
I had a rabbit at one time (mini rabbit that lived 4 years) and the only
problem we had was that Nosey would start his dominance issue with him.
He'd run around... Nosey'd chase him.  And when he caught him, he'd grab
the rabbit by the nape of the neck... of course he couldn't GO anywhere
with the rabbit (but it was hilarious to watch him try..  flat rabbit ears
covering a struggling ferret's head ).  And the rabbit would just sit
there.  Of course after Nosey would let go, the rabbit would go and hide
and NIETHER of us could find him for about 25 minutes hehehe.

Duck soup:
A long time ago, someone had posted a home recipe for duck soup (which I
lost almost right after saving it).  Okay, everyone talks about.  So what
is it, what's it good for, can I buy it, can I make it (Where I live, if
it's something that can be bought, chances are I'll have to go somewhere
else)?

Strange people:
I suppose ferret owners are strange.  Being someone who's posted on here
before, I think that applies to me as well.  OF COURSE WE'RE STRANGE, but
no more strange than any computer geek!  It just so happens that our
strangeness can love us back!  I take the compliment with a smile, thank
you.

Thanx

Raymond (hooman daddy) ([log in to unmask])
Nosey (ferret)
Neko (ferret)
Squeeky (dog)
Rusty aka "Old Man"(15 year old dog... dear me, that's 105 in dog years!)
Joel (8 year old cockatiel)
Baby   <-------- new addition (dog, puppy, mutt)
and (a butterscotch mini rabbit)   <------new addition
AND 8 other people (truly a zoo)