From:
Bryan Strickland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Mar 1999 19:21:06 -0500
Last Tuesday evening (2/23) we noticed that our 5 ferrets had diarrhea.
It wasn't bright green or smelly like described at the Ferret Central web
site, but I had a sneaking suspicion that it was ECE.  We went to a pet
store the weekend before that and played with the baby ferrets.  I noticed
that they weren't very clean, but I just figured that they were playing in
their food and water.  (I know, I should have known better).  Anyway,
Thursday my husband took them to the vet, (our regular vet was in surgery).
She said that the diarrhea could be caused by any number of things besides
ECE.  She gave him Bactrim Syrup and fluids to give them.  They all seemed
to be getting better within a couple of days, but today they all have
diarrhea again.  We've never had experience with ECE before, can anyone
help give us an idea how long it lasts or what we should do.  I'm cleaning
up after them and making sure that everyone is eating and doesn't become
dehydrated.

Come to find out about the pet store we went to, people have complained
about the conditions of it to our local SPCA and they can't do anything
about it.  We were told that as long as they keep the store minimally
clean, they're not doing anything wrong.

Becky