From:
Melissa Warren <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Jan 1999 12:53:44 -0600
>Another thought on this.  I know there are "Nippy" ferrets and some people
>think they shouldn't be allowed as pets for whatever thier reasons, But
>have you ever handled a hamster?
>
>My question is Why do people pick on the Ferret when there are alot of
>other animals out there Biting harder and "less" domesticated?
>
>(hope I didn't step on any toes)
>Chrissy

I have to say that I agree with Chrissy on this one.  Yes, some ferret kits
nip, and if not properly trained to stop, they will become a big problem.
Chrissy mentioned hamsters, but how about this.  Puppies will nip and bite
too.  And an untrained nippy dog can do much more damage than a ferret.  My
aunt had a cocker spaniel that delighted in trying to bite off your nose.
I have also noticed an interesting thing about cats.  A cat which has been
socialized to people at an early age is usually a well-mannered nice kitty.
Have you ever been near one that hasn't been?  My friend has one of those
look but you better not touch cats.  She'll scratch the crap out of you
just for petting her.  It is impossible to pet this cat.  And she can do
much more damage than a ferret could ever do.  It is interesting to me how
anti-ferret people come up with all the reasons ferrets aren't domesticated
and shouldn't be pets, but when you use the same guidelines and look at
dogs and cats.  They shouldn't be pets either.

Of course, I am not saying I want them to not be pets.  I just agree with
Chrissy, Those people need to stop picking on ferrets.

Melissa Warren