From:
Kat Neumeyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Jan 1999 08:46:04 -0500
Hello all -

While at my local pet store last night (privately owned, not a mega chain)
getting supplies for my two frogs, I was sucked in by the 5 ferrets for
sale there.  I stop in every so often to see them, and the store owner
is nice and lets me handle & play with them a little while.  As I was
scratching the chin of a little panda girl, I asked where he got his
ferrets from.  Since we're in Boston, I wasn't surprised he said Marshall
Farms.  So I asked if he had heard the tales of MF ferrets & higher
incidences of disease and so on.  He claims "all ferrets get cancer," and
that MF ferrets are no worse.

Having never owned an MF ferret (mine came from a midwest breeder with a
long & respected history of good breeding practice), I'm curious: are the
horrow stories true?  are MF ferrets really at higher risk for cancer,
insulinoma, and the whole host of ailments?  Since I'll be looking for a
kit or ferret in the fall of this year, I'm trying to find out all I can
about breeders out here.  I'd really rather not drive back to Minnesota -
I'm too bitter at the Vikings ;)

Thanks - Kat
Kat Neumeyer

Research Associate, Pharmacor