From:
Jennifer LaRossa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Jan 1999 11:53:19 EST
Hello, all....
Three things:
1) Sunshine: Two ferrets are great.  We had just Rustle for a few months
(he was a 10 mo old rescue) before Archie came to live here (a 2 yr old
rescue).  A lot of Rustle's rougher behavior got redirected at Archie, and
we got proportionately more gentle behavior.  You could tell that while he
likes playing with us humans, he LOVES playing with Archie.  The
male/female combination is great, too.  Rustle is much bigger and stronger
and sturdier than Arch, and it could be upsetting to see him drag her off,
etc, but one thing we notice is that she always goes back for more... she
loves playing with him, too, and is a real instigator.  They really are
best friends, but having each other to love doesn't mean that they love us
any less or pay less attention to us; it's just different.  Even though it
was scary to rock the boat by getting a second, it was absolutely the right
decision.  Oh, and there is no difference in the quality of affection or
attention each one gives us, so I would have to say the gender difference
is irrelevant.

2) Since we haven't been able to get stove chow, we have started using
something called Feline Pine (it is also pelleted) in the litter pan.  I
use just a tiny amount and do a complete scrub and change every day.  Does
anyone know of any contraindications to using it?  Was it just coincidence
that Rustle had very concentrated urine and looked irritated for a few
days?  (Don't worry, I took him to the vet for it and they said he is
fine.) Does anyone else use it and have good feelings about it?  And while
we are on the subject, does anyone have any other thoughts as to what could
have caused this irritation of his, er, private part?  It's not like he is
rotund and dragging on the ground.

3) I am sort of overprotective and afraid to use a ricebox or sandbox....
I saw some grey stuff (looked like recycled paper clumps) in a pet store
being used as animal bedding.  Does this seem like an okay thing to use in
a box for the guys to play in?  Have any of you tried it?

Thank you all for your support, and best wishes to you all, too,
Jennifer, Rustle and Artemis (Archie)