From:
Ronnie DiComo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Jan 1999 20:19:38 EST
Happy New Year everyone!
Granny ferrets: my grandmother's name was Nellie, which I think is a lovely
name, and I also know a lovely little ferret named Nellie.

Ferrets and dogs
There have been several posts recently on ferrets and dogs.  My 2 cents is
that it depends on the individual dog and ferret.  A puppy or very playful
dog might really enjoy playing with a ferret.  Ferret play is quite rough,
and hanging onto the dog's face, biting feet, etc. is common.  If your dog
likes this (and some do), that's great.

If your dog finds it annoying (for good reason) I think that's pushing your
luck (or the ferret's luck).  Ferrets can be really obnoxious to other
animals.  An older ferret or one who doesn't bother other animals might be
fine around dogs.  Also, it depends on the dog.  Some dogs are great with
small animals, some dogs will kill a ferret in an instant.  Again, it all
depends on your dog and your ferret.

I personally think every animal deserves to be undisturbed in their own
home, so I don't let my 'attack' ferrets bite my dog (who does not enjoy
being bitten by ferrets).  Same with cats, I don't let my ferrets jump all
over or bother my cats.  I think it's very stressful for the cats.  Again,
if you have a kitten who enjoys the play, that's great.  All my cats are
older and don't especially like ferrets, so I keep the lunatic ferrets
separated from my other animals.  Clover, Epcot, Ralph and Petunia are
fine with other animals.  Harry, Prince Charming, Merlin and Roxanne are
veeeeeeerry bad.  I find that it just depends on the individual animals.

Ronnie and
Ralphie, Harry, Prince Charming, Merlin, Roxanne, Petunia, Epcot & Clover