Date:
Fri, 1 Jan 1999 13:25:11 -0500
I know that a large number of the ferret community would love to believe
that ferrets have been domesticated longer than cats, but unfortunately
that is not the case.  Bob Church's FAQ states that ferrets have been
domesticated about 2500 years, but there is ample evidence available that
cats were domesticated around or prior to 2000BC, which points to cats
being domesticated for around 4000 years.  (i.e.: "Cats are known to have
been domesticated in Egypt by 2000 B.C., where they were associated with
the Egyptian goddess Bastet.  Cats were mummified as offerings, and buried
in tombs by the millions, by the ancient Egyptians." )

Another clue to the fact that ferrets haven't been domesticated as long as
cats is the lack of distinguished breeds.

Fact: Dogs have been domesticated for around 12000 years.  There are
literally HUNDREDS of breeds of dogs.

Fact: Cats have been domesticated for around 4000 years.  There are over a
hundred breeds of cats.

Ferrets have been domesticated around 2500 years.  There are few actually
breeds (I've only heard mention of an angora type, but I've never seen
one).  If ferrets had been domesticated as long as cats, it would be very
likely that we would see many different "breeds," the result of genetic
mutations passed from generation to generation.  I've seen different colour
varieties of ferrets, but I've never seen a naturally hairless ferret (no
adrenal, please), or a tail-less ferret, or a ferret with folded ears
(i.e.: the Sphinx cat, the Manx, and the Scottish fold).  As far as I know,
there are ever more breeds of rabbits than there are of ferrets (the lop,
the dwarf, and the angora immediately come to mind) and I have no idea how
long they've been domesticated.  All I know is it takes time for these
mutations to consistently occur, thus creating an actual "breed."

Stating that ferrets have been domesticated longer than cats may look
really good for legalization in FFZ's, but it just isn't true.  And sadly,
this myth is very strong among those in the ferret community.  I'm sorry to
have spoiled this for many, but at least you can take hear in the fact that
there is ample evidence that ferrets have been domesticated longer than the
turkey (remember that next Christmas and Thanksgiving!).

Amy