From:
"Sheri M." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Dec 1998 23:23:37 -0600
A-ha!  Thank you, Judith, for saying exactly what my parent shelter asked
me to write about.  I think Laura's exact words were, "Instead of bitching
and criticizing, JUMP RIGHT IN AND HELP US!"   If she had one wish in the
whole world, it would be for more hours in the day and to lose the need for
sleep entirely.  As it is, she probably sleeps 4 hours of 24, and she has
something like SIXTEEN ferrets that need to be hand fed every 3 HOURS.  And
another dozen that need to be medicated several times a day.

I only have 2 shelter kids, but a lot of shelters have more--in fact, the
post about a "hell-hole" shelter with 30 ferrets did not shock or upset me.
At least THOSE ferrets have free run.  There are shelters with more ferrets
who are stacked in cages floor to ceiling in garages and get their run time
in a bigger cage then they sleep in.  That upsets me more than some poop on
the floor.  Even a lot of poop.

Perhaps the poster happened to arrive on a bad day?  At least the ferrets
don't have back muscles permanently hunched from being in tiny cages and
never being able to run at all.  I agree that filthy isn't ideal, but there
are worse things going on elsewhere.  And at least the ferrets are begging
to be picked up, not cowering fearful in the corner.

I hope the shelter's not being bashed because of personal dislike.
Checking city ordinances to shut someone down seems underhanded.  Call the
person up on the telephone and SPEAK your concerns.  SUGGEST that they
might need a few more litter boxes.  BUY the darn litter boxes and drop
them off, along with some appropriate litter.

OFFER TO HELP!!!!!!!  (Wow, there's a concept!!)  30 ferrets isn't an
unusual shelter number--it's very common.  And it's got to be nuts keeping
up with the poopie that comes out of 30 ferrets.  I hear the criticism, but
I don't hear you offering to help, just talking behind the shelter's back.
Can you volunteer one day a week, how about one day a month, to put on your
"cleaning clothes" and help out?  If you're not willing to help, then who
are you to criticize?

I'm not trying to make enemies, but nothing bothers me more than people
stabbing other people in the back.  It's cowardly, and it doesn't HELP the
SITUATION at all.  If you really do care, then dive in and help this
shelter become a better place for ferrets.

Thanks for reading.  Sorry, I got a little more hyper than usual.

--Sheri M.
in the Company of Ferrets North
Superior,  WI