Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 27 Jan 1999 15:17:04 -0500
From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Just an FYI for those who have not had ferrets for a long enough time: what
Georgette described ( the ferret with insulinoma which shakes the cage for
assistance early each morning and recovers after eating ) is something
which was common-place before there began being so many well-tested options
for controlling blood sugar, and it carries its own hazards.  Back then it
was such a typical thing for blood sugar to be insufficiently controlled
before the individual was so far along that it would just go flat out and
not be able to call for help that I was amazed that folks didn't all jump
on it, then I remembered how many treatment advances there have been since
the years when we first had ferrets, and that most people didn't have
ferrets till after some of those bumps had been smoothed out.  Most of the
ones today which have such big fluctuations are much further along, or are
new to the problem so they don't know that the humans and food can help.
Guess there are some uses for old memories.  I told her about some of the
options to discuss with her vet: Proglycem, and those tested in:
"Insulinoma in the Ferret: Clinical Findings and Treatment Comparison of 66
Cases" by Weiss, Williams, and Scott; J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 1998;34:471-5.
Mean Survival Days and Days without Symtoms after diagnosis are compared
there for: treatment with prednisone: 186 days, 22 days; removal of the
tumors themselves: 456 days and 234 days; and removal of the tumors plus
some of the surrounding tissue 668 days and 365 days.

Also brought up the importance of having food right where the ferret sleeps
in this situation and how cage-clamping bowls may help with that:
Ferret Store 1-888-833-7738, and Ferret Ware 1-800-FERRETW.

In addition I recommended two webpages:
http://www.ferretcentral.org
http://www.afip.org/ferrets/index.html

In case this helps anyone else here I figured I'd repeat this for your
files.  DO remember that treatment options also have there own times when
they are contra-indicated or when problems may develop, so speak with your
vet, have things written down if needed, read medicine inserts, call vets
when you have questions, etc.  That's just good whenever you are dealing
with a major health question.

Sukie