Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 13 Jan 1999 15:48:17 -0800
From:
Natalie Binder <[log in to unmask]>
Hi!  What's up, you crazy ferret people?  Okay, I've got a mountain of
questions this time... I'd be really grateful for answers.

I'm avidly interested in getting a ferret and have been for two years, but
the other members of my family don't really share my enthusiasiam.  I could
really use some info, especially from any West Central Florida owners.  I
know all the basics (food, litter training, don't use wood shavings,
etc.)... if it really matters, I want a female DEW.

Everyone but me is really worried about the smell.  Does anybody have a
really decent-smelling ferret or three around?  Any tips?

We own two female Labrodor Retrivers.  One is pushing ten years old, though
she looks and acts five, and the other is four, but still thinks she's a
puppy, is very easygoing, and has virtually no prey drive.  I'm really
more worried about my older girl.  She's pretty good too, but tends to snap
when she gets aggrivated.  Any info on ferrets with dogs in general?  This
particular breed?  Any trouble with female ferrets and female dogs
together?

These two topics are vital to my ever owning a ferret and staying with my
family at the same time.  Please help!

These questions are for you Florida people in the Tampa/Clearwater area:
Could I have the names and addresses of ferret vets in the area?  I'm
pleased to go as far as Tarpon Springs for a good vet.

Are there any local shelters/clubs/private breeders?  If not, is anyone
interested in starting a ferret club for the Tampa Bay area?  If anyone
in the Tarpon Springs area is interested in opening their homes to a new
ferret, please go to Discovery Pets near Winn-Dixie.  You'll find the
address in the phone book.  There are three 14-week-old female ferrets (two
beautiful pandas and a nippy albino) there who desprately need homes.  They
are being marked down quickly from 100 dollars, and they need cuddles and
nail trims.  Will someone ferret-expirienced please take one or the trio?
I'd hate for them to be victims of "$35 dollar ferret" syndrome.  I visited
them before Christmas and all three were still there when I went back.
They don't get any outside time (pet store worker said "we don't have time
to deal with that"), and the albino doesn't get snuggled that much ("I
don't mess with it, because it bit me").  They also should be getting their
third round of shots by now, and they've only gotten their first.  They're
spayed and de-scented.

Feel free to reply by personal email or on a post.  Let me know if you
decide to take one of the babies home.  I'd like to know how they're
getting along.

-Natalie