From:
"Ann D. Phillips" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Jan 1999 08:52:45 -0500
I know Ed's post probably grossed out some of you non-mouse feeding ferret
owners - and I could see why.  Don't read any further if you find yourself
appalled by feeding mice in any form....

I can't make it out there, so I won't get to participate in Ed's Olympics,
but I have some comments.

As a mouse-feeding ferret owner I have some thoughts regarding contest
rules and different eating styles.

Only one of my ferrets actually eats the whole mouse by himself.  The rest
sort of pass them around, and eat bits off.  I'm sure two of mine enjoy
mice toting, but don't eat any.  I'm not sure how a contest would be able
to accomodate that as I think the competition in my group has a direct
relation to the quick disappearence of mice.

Sometimes there are left over peices.  Would you count against the ferret
that left feet or a tail?

I have no idea what my ferrets, who eat frozen pinkies (defrosted of
course), would do with a live mouse.  They might stare in disbelief.  They
might gobble it up after snaring it.  Personally I think my cats would have
to take over as I only have one ferret with recent working background (her
half brother loves sushi too) who has the skill to do any hunting.  Would
you offer mice in both forms for the discriminating ferret?

Ann
and the 10 happy mouse-eating, bathroom dwelling, ferrets.