From:
Mark Zmyewski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Jan 1999 16:01:05 -0600
Hi,

This message is really intended for anyone who might be keeping adrenal
statistics as it pertains to Marshall Farms ferrets.  Well, I do also have
a few adrenal questions.

Boomer is a 3.5 year old MF male.  He had adrenal surgery last week after
being diagnosed both by the loss of hair and by the UT panel.  His left
adrenal was the affected one.

However, my vet was not able to remove all of the gland.  It seems that
Boomer's adrenal gland is not positioned normally and is instead positioned
between the renal vein and artery.  Because of this, the capsule is
actually attached to both the vein and the artery.  My vet opened the
capsule and debulked about 80%, but had to leave 20% gland/tumor because
he was afraid of doing damage to either the renal vein or renal artery.

My vet said that he felt more comfortable with removing 80% of the gland
than removing the entire kidney, since those were the only two options he
thought he had.

From reading the FAQ, I assume that since part of the adrenal gland still
exists, it will regenerate.  Is this correct, or will it NOT regenerate
since 80% of it has been removed?  Also, I guess I should assume that at
one point or another, the tumor will again be a problem.  My vet said that
if that happens, he will refer me to UT Knoxville.

Any input from anyone?  Feel free to email me personally.

-Mark Zmyewski
 Cloud Nine Ferrets
 Huntsville, Alabama