From:
"Hudson, Jennifer" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Dec 1998 15:16:47 -0500
Note about Post #19 from yesterday's FML.

The two loves in my life are my daughter and our 6 ferrets.  Being a good
human mom, I am a Girl Scout Leader.  Being a good ferret mom, I take
advantage of being a Leader to educate the girls in my Troop and throughout
the Council about ferrets and pet ownership in general.  I'm not a shelter
operator, but I do take advantage of my position with the girls to impress
on them at this young age the importance and responsibility of being a
loving pet owner.

Mary's point about the Scouts helping is an excellent channel to pursue.  I
have offered my group's help to two shelters, one does not have the time to
spend with the girls, but I am hoping the other will work out.  Last year,
my Troop adopted a cat rescue and it was very successful.  We spent time
making signs, toys, handing out flyers, etc., but we also spent some time
at the shelter cleaning bowls, filling water/food bowls, sweeping floors,
changing bedding, etc.  We also took the chance to teach the girls what
happens to animals that are neglected and unloved.  They interacted with
appropriate animals and everyone was very happy!

Take advantage of this willing group of hands.  The Troops need community
service projects, and those projects do not always need to involve humans
in need!  In addition, the Troops earn patches or points toward
certificates.  Anyone wanting specifics about my Troop's activities, please
e-mail.  While this can be a very successful program for both the shelter
and the Troop, it needs detailed planning to avoid (or try) any risks or
hazards to human or animal.

Good luck and happy holidays,

Jennifer and the Gang