Date:
Sun, 6 Dec 1998 21:04:45 EST
In a message dated 12/5/98 11:57:48 PM, [log in to unmask] wrote:
>Please explain what makes a shelter a collector.

HOW WELL RUN IS YOUR SHELTER?
by Pamela  Troutman, from STAR* issue 4.4 12/94

Everyone has a different conception and method to running a shelter.  There
are some things that we all must abide by which make us a good shelter.  It
does not matter what species of animal you care for, but how well you care
for them while they are in your shelter.  The following is a general "Rule
of Thumb" for shelters to rate themselves and see just where improvements
can or need to be made.  Before answering though, fill in the following:

Number of permanent cages:  ___

Maximum number of animals these cages hold comfortably:

Definition: Overloaded = spare cages are set up or maximum number of
                         animals is increased by 20% or more.

1. Would your shelter pass an inspection from Animal Control:
   (a) If they just showed up without warning?
   (b) If they gave you 24 hours notice?
   (c) If they gave you a weeks' notice?

2. Are young, healthy animals placed within a month:
   (a) Including the "quarantine" time?
   (b) Excluding the "quarantine" time?
   (c) Only if they are babies.

3. Are all animals neutered and spayed:
   (a) Before adoption?
   (b) Within a contracted time span?
   (c) Is it left up to the adopter?

4. When your shelter is becoming overloaded do you:
   (a) Send animals to foster homes or other shelters for placement?
   (b) Lower your adoption fee or run advertisements to encourage more
       adoptions?
   (c) Stick it out?

5. At what place do people's noses tell them there are animals on the
   premises?
   (a) When they actually see them.
   (b) When they step over the front door's threshold.
   (c) While they are still outside the shelter.

6. Are you adding to the animal population?
   (a) No.  All pets and shelter animals are sterilized.
   (b) My shelter animals are sterilized but my pets are not.
   (c) I breed to help "support" the shelter financially.

7. Have you ever turned down accepting an animal into your facility?
   (a) Yes, because it was not in the best interest of the animal in
       question or the animals at my facility.  We referred the call to
       another facility or asked they hold the animal until we could take
       it or find it another home.
   (b) Yes, because we were overloaded at the shelter.  We referred the
       call to another facility or asked they hold the animal until we
       could take it or find it another home.
   (c) No, no matter how much it inconveniences the shelter or threatens
       the health and well being of our rescues, we will not turn anyone
       away.

8. When an overload occurs, are you capable of returning your shelter to
   normal in:
   (a) Two months or less.
   (b) Two to four months.
   (c) Four months or longer.

9. Do you have a quarantine area set up:
   (a) For all new arrivals.
   (b) For only ill animals.
   (c) Only when we think we need it.

10. Water bowls and bottles, food dishes, litter pans, cages and such are
    sterilized:
   (a) On a regular scheduled basis.
   (b) On an as-needed basis.
   (c) When I have time.

11. Veterinarian treatment is sought:
    (a) Immediately and paid for at time of service.
    (b) As soon as possible and I'm always making payments.
    (c) As soon as the money is raised.

12. The quality of food served to shelter animals:
    (a) Is the best available, whether or not it is donated or on sale.
    (b) Varies depending on donations or what is on sale, but it must meet
        minimum standards.
    (c) Is whatever is most cost effective, regardless of quality.

13. What does your adoption contract say about returns?
    (a) You will take the animal back at any time with a refund for a
        period of time.
    (b) You will take the animal back at any time - no refund.
    (c) Will not take the animal back, or, "What contract?"

14. How often do you change the bedding?
    (a) More than once a week.
    (b) Once a week.
    (c) Less than once a week.

15. If the animal uses a litterbox, do you scoop and change litter:
    (a) Scoop daily, change 1-2 times weekly.
    (b) Scoop every other day, change 1-2 times weekly.
    (c) Never scoop, just change 1-2 times a week.

RATINGS:
All answers were (a)'s == Excellent shelter and ready to enter Sainthood.

No more than 5 (b) answers and no (c) answers == You have a life outside
the shelter, but the animals come first.

More (b) than (a) answers, but still no (c)'s == You need to get a little
more serious about shelter work or cut back on your operation.  Now would
be a good time to get more volunteers to help maintain the shelter and
take the hard-to-place animals home with them.  Start some fund-raisers to
improve services, food or supplies.  Make lists of adoptable ferrets in
their present homes and help place them without them coming to the shelter.

Mostly (a) and (b) answers, but there is one (c) == Time to stop and
regroup.  Was that one (c) at one time a (b)?  Can you correct it to a (b)?
Are you having trouble maintaining the animals?  Do outside interests
(home, family, friends, work) make working with the animals too much?
Are you still enjoying the shelter?

Two or more (c) answers == The shelter is really just a hobby and you are
on the verge of being called an Animal Collector.  Give yourself an honest
reassessment of why you are caring for critters.  Maybe it is time to turn
things over to someone else and take a vacation for awhile.