From:
Jennifer LaRossa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Dec 1998 16:00:55 EST
Hello, all....
After wiping the latest waterfall of tears from my eyes after reading the
most recent obituaries, poems, tributes, etc, on the FML, and after sending
prayers and wishes out for all the little sick ones, the lost ones, the
ones who are waiting for us at the bridge, and even for all the little
healthy ones, and for all of us human companions of these precious little
ones, I am now, finally ready to ask a very prosaic question.

What advice do you guys have about replacing my husband's death trap.... I
mean "recliner", of course, with a different sort of chair?  Obviously when
Rustle and Archie are out of the cage, we (humans, not ferrets) scream at
my husband to stay out of the chair.  And obviously, that is almost as bad
a crime as if we tried to take the tv remote away from him.  I mean, he is
not too fond of the babies as it is, and for them to interfere with his
pleasure in sitting in this thing is almost blasphemous.  (The fact that I
somehow manage to continue drawing breath without having a similar chair to
my name is immaterial.) The situation is compounded by the fact that Russ
and Arch have both tunneled into the chair's stuffing....I KNOW, I KNOW how
risky this is in terms of blockages.  Over the past three years, they have
shown no interest in eating the stuffing, but I know it is just a matter of
time, and the thought terrifies me every day.  I have tried everything I
can think of to keep them out, but even though I supposedly have a high IQ,
I am NO MATCH FOR A FERRET.

The only reason I haven't already dumped the chair, besides knowing that it
will precipitate World War III, is that Archie keeps a little stash of
kibble in there somewhere..... it is the cutest thing to watch her running
back and forth to tuck away her little snacks for later, but, okay, that's
irrelevant.

I know that people have replaced couches with futon couches.... now how
about replacing recliners with futon chairs?  Is it reasonable enough
facsimile that the god of the domain will continue to feel ensconced on the
throne he so richly deserves, feeling that his LA-Z-BOY needs have been
met?  How about it?  Can anyone who owns a chair like this advise me?  (and
please don't anyone write to try to make me feel guilty for having the
chair.... I feel bad enough as it is; I know it is irresponsible... you
couldn't possibly make me feel any more anxious and guilty about the
situation than I already do).

And if this IS a good idea to replace the recliner with a futon thingie,
do any Long Islanders know a good CHEAP place to get one, because, yes, in
this holiday season, Archie has popped out another mast cell, and since the
last set me back approx.  $300 and I have only $100 saved up so far for
this one, I can't afford the Cadillac of chairs.

If you have an answer for me, please let me know as soon as possible....
thanks in advance,

Jennifer