From:
Pippy Longstocking <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Dec 1998 07:59:02 PST
Everyone,

I have a HUGE moral dilemma.  I need advise.  I know of a shelter that has
tons of ferrets.  Not only is this a problem but the person who runs the
shelter does not keep things clean.  There are some cages that have not
been cleaned in weeks and there are maggots growing in the litter boxes.
The ferrets are having to live and sleep with maggots.

Until recently I have thought that by trying to help this person adopt
these ferrets out, that I was doing the right thing by trying to help those
ferrets get out of there.  I mean the conditions that this shelter runner
thinks that she is saving them from are in most cases better than the
conditions they have to live in at the shelter.  With all of my efforts to
try to get these ferrets adopted, the shelter runner finds excuses as to
why they will not be good ferret owners and sometimes even ignores
applications that are sent in from people who are interested in adopting.
This shelter runner does not seem to be interested in finding homes.

I have thought of one solution that I think is a terrible one and that is
calling animal control.  The problem with that of course is that the
ferrets would most likely be euthanized.  I need some advise as to what to
do about this.  Please help!  I can't stand to sit here and watch these
animals live in these conditions.  Sometimes they don't even have food and
water in their cages at this shelter.  Not because there isn't food and
water, but because no one has given it to the ferrets.

Please give me any advise that you can.

Thanks,
Ferret Lover

[Moderator's note: I know at least a dozen people will ask me, so I'll
answer here: Yes, I find the timing of this note rather odd and, no, I
know almost nothing about the poster, though I wouldn't tell you anything
even if I did.  Perhaps email correspondence the Pipi, or Ferret Lover, or
whatever his/her real name is, will clarify things.

After considering a few factors I decided the post should be in this issue
instead of in the regular FML, but this person may indeed need our help, so
please don't think I'm making *too* much of a judgement call here.
Thanks... BIG]