From:
April Gallaty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Dec 1998 20:17:59 -0500
Hi.  I have a new fuzzy baby named Luna.  I have only had her for 3 weeks
and she is my very first ferret.  I am having problems with her, because
she nips so hard.  I realize that she is just a baby (at 10 weeks old), but
she bites the crap out of me.  She doesn't bite my husband hard, but she is
killing me.

He is a work at home guy, so Luna comes out of her cage in the morning and
is out all day until the evening when we go to bed.  We have the kitchen
and major appliances blocked off and have done our best to ferret proof the
house.  She hasn't gotten into any trouble yet, and we hope not ever.

She is not caged all day and has free run of the house and is very very
active.  She comes to my hubby whenever she wants to be loved or played
with.  He says she doesn't bite his feet or anything like that while he is
at his desk.  As soon as I walk in in the evening, she runs to me and
starts biting me.  I can't hold her or kiss her or pet her or snuggle her.
She won't allow it.  I am getting to where I am afraid to pick her up for
getting my blood drawn.

She was a pet store ferret and was playful and had brothers and sisters.
We are going this weekend to get her a playmate in hopes that she just
needs someone to rough house with.  The weird thing is, I am under the
impression that she just doesn't like me.  She hisses and yips at me from
across the room.  I have never hurt her or punished her.  I have put her in
a dark enclosed carrier for one minute after each biting incident, but she
just gets madder when she comes out.  I don't hit animals, (I have an 18
year old dog and 4 year old cat) so spanking is out of the question.

We have had our moments though, she gets in the shower with me and doesn't
bite when that is going on and she likes to chase me.  I run from her and
she gallops behind me and then shimmies up my leg.  I put her down and we
are off again.  She rides on a towel while I pull it and she seems to love
that.  (These activities get the sweet chirping sound out of her).

We bought a huge bucket and filled it with sand for her to dig in, but she
tried that once, sneezed and never went back.  I have toys galore and keep
everything she has clean and have a million balls.  She seems to like the
high quality cat food better than hers and LOVES pear pieces.  At night,
when we put her in her cage, she is summoned by the squeaky ball and gets
a pear piece and then in she goes.

I have read so many things about diarrhea and that sort of thing that I am
afraid to feed her more than her regular food and that one snack a day.  As
you can tell, I am clueless and want to be a good mommy, but I am at a loss.

Does anyone out there have suggestions?  Is it a good idea to get a
playmate or am I asking for double trouble?  I love this little girlie and
want her to be happy.  Any help would be appreciated.

See her pictures at WWW.Geocities.com/athens/styx/2335
Go to the Luna link on the web page

April