From:
Purple Cow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Dec 1998 21:36:52 -0500
With all this talk of shelters and everyone saying what is wrong and what
isn't wrong, I just felt like I had to offer my little opinion.  Seems
like part of the problem with the ferret population in general is the
overpopulation.  There's too many in the pet stores, there's too many in
the shelters.  What about if everyone worked together?  What if the
shelters worked out some sort of agreement with local breeders that the
breeders will "hold back" until the shelters are a little less populated
and that if the shelter doesn't have the "type" of ferret a person is
looking for then they will recommend the breeder.  If a breeder is in it
truely for the love of the animal then it shouldn't be a problem.  Perhaps
you could even talk to local pet store owners.  Make them realize what the
problem is and ask them to cut back (or get rid of completely) ferret sales
and in exchange buy ferret supplies to them and send adoptive parents to
them for the supplies.  I know it sounds idealistic but wouldn't it be
great if it helped even a little?

Okay, now on to the questions.  I was wondering if anyone had ever
converted one of those big dog kennles into a ferret cage?  I'd love to
try it since they're so big and spacious and I would be able to put ramps
and levels where I wanted but I don't want to waste money if someone has
already tried it without luck.  Also, the cage Gabby has now has bare
(uncoated) metal wire and I was wondering if anyone knew of anything to
coat it with?  I'm just worried that it might rust and I've seen the coated
wire and thought that might be better.

Thanks.

Liz