From:
Bob Church <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Dec 1998 00:21:25 -0600
Q: "Our shelter takes in more ferrets than it lets out....this is most
    likely because the person in charge has set adoption standards too
    high...any suggestions?"

A: Would a suggestion involving cannon and cholla cactus count?

The following is my personal opinion and may not reflect the opinions of
others.  This opinon is based on visiting nearly 300 shelters in the past
two years; some are clearly worse than others and some I have absolutely no
complaint with.  My comments do not necessary reflect on any one particular
shelter.  Remember; opinions are not facts, just beliefs.

Shelters are in the business of providing a TEMPORARY home for abandoned
or orphaned ferrets.  If they consider ANY ferret unadoptable, then they
have either not done their jobs, or they are not a shelter but rather a
collection.  I have seen hundreds of shelters across the USA and Canada,
and I have NEVER seen a shelter than can treat a ferret with the same love
and attention that can be had in a home.  Shelters are boring to the
ferret, overcrowded, stressful, and placed where the risk of disease is
much higher than the street.  It is the rare shelter than can provide an
interesting environment for the ferret, as well as reducing stress and
maintaining a high degree of human contact.  The worst biters I have ever
met come from shelter environments.  In my opinion, shelters create
neurotic ferrets with an increased chance of disease and social problems
simply because there is no way in the shelter environment that a ferret
can recieve the same loving attention found in the avergae home.

Shelters need to remember what they are in business for.  If a prospective
ferret owner doesn't met your expectations, TEACH THEM!!!!  Even a less
than standard home is better than being packed into small cages that are
stacked from floor to ceiling, with the once-a-day hope of being released
from the same BORING environment for a few minutes a day.  The ferrets
might be protected, but they are in JAIL and cage isn't even guilded.  If
the people in charge won't listen to reason, get the club to fire them and
elect someone who puts the ferret first and their desire to maintain a
collection of ferrets second.  Get those ferrets into homes!!

Oh yes.  I have often heard the complain that shelters can't get rid of
sick or biting ferrets.  WELLLLL, figure out how much it costs the shelter
to house that ferret on a yearly basis, then GIVE that money to someone who
will take the ferret home with them.  Think of it this way; you are not out
any more money, BUT the ferret now has a nice home and better care.  You
have lost nothing and the ferret has gained everything.  Put the ferret
first, and get them into homes and refuse to support shelters that collect
rather than place ferrets.

Q: "I have a boy ferret what has just started peeing and wiping his
    private area all over the place. Is something wrong?"

A: Not if the ferret is grinning.

You didn't tell me if the ferret has a couble of little roundish things
hanging down between his legs.  If he does, it sounds as if he is in
season, or rutting.  If so, he probably stinks a lot, and may even be
attempting to mate with other ferrets, shoes, or even the occasional
housecat.  It will pass, or, preferably, you can have the poor boy
neutered.  If he is rutting, that means he has reached adult size and his
skeleton has stopped growing, so waiting serves no advantage in getting a
bigger ferret.  Get him neutered.

However, if the ferret HAS already been neutered, then the ferret MAY have
adrenal, kidney or other problems, in which case you need to see the vet
for a better diagnosis.  Some male ferrets just seem to be dribblers,
regardless of the condidtion of the glands or gonads.  All ferret,
especially males, will use a tiny drip of urine to mark objects, which
often includes toys, food dishes and the toe of shoes, but this is highly
variable between ferrets.  Let me know what you found out.

Bob C and 20 Mo' Wrestlin' Weasels (missing Foster)