From:
Elizabeth Cantu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Dec 1998 11:28:04 -0800
This is response to "What's Going On?".  I have a ferret that is dealing
with Gehardia (not sure of the spelling).  It is the same type of protozoa
that people can get when drinking river water, etc.  There is also a
bacteria that is similar to the human ulcer causing bacteria that lives in
ferrets.  They do not know much about it.  My vet even suggested that
insulinoma may be a result of this.  Anyway, my ferrets is experiencing the
same symptoms.  He has lost a lot of weight and sleeps all the time.  For 5
weeks now I have had to force feed him while giving him pepto, amoxi drops
and metronidazole (which he hates).  The treatment is only suppose to be 2
weeks, but we are having trouble getting rid of the Gehardia.  It is
obvious his stomach is upset most of the time, he mashes his teeth and rubs
his chin on the blanket.  Please have his stool tested..ferrets have died
from this!