From:
"~ Melissa ~" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Dec 1998 08:10:28 PST
I wanted to add on to Sukie Crandall's reminder with a personal story about
this happening to me (someone taking/printing a mailing list article I had
written).  Anyway, after it happened to me (as well as something else
happening), it led to me unsubscribing from the FML until I could feel more
secure about myself!  I'm not telling the newsletter's name because they
ended up working it out with me and apologizing...plus, another shelter
DID ask me permission for an article, so please don't speculate on what
newsletter did this (thanks!).

One day I opened my e-mail and found one of my ferret-owning e-mail friends
had sent me a note on how she saw my article in a newsletter.  I was
stunned because I hadn't even heard of that newsletter before, and I had
never written an article for it.  I searched on the Internet and found
their e-mail, and asked for a free copy of the magazine.  I expressed that
I didn't want this to happen again in the future.

When I got the newsletter I was sooo sad...the article I had written was
taken out of context and contained verbal abuse toward me.  The article's
editor made it sound like I was not a ferret owner, and added on to the
article with his or her own comments (again, I'm staying vague here! ;o)).

It REALLY hurt my feelings, not only that the article was used without my
permission, but also that it was taken out of context.  If newsletter
editors don't have contact with the authors, they don't know if they are
taking something the right way or not.  I have been professionally
published and the editors don't change or use what you write without
asking.  So please remember to ask!  Most likely you will get a "yes" from
the writer -- everyone loves to see his or her name in print!  Offer a free
copy of the newsletter/magazine to the author.

Also, remember that everything was worked out between me and the
newsletter, and I don't harbor any ill feelings now!  I just hope my
personal story will help others.  :o)

Melissa