Date:
Mon, 16 Nov 1998 09:28:38 +1300
First, thank you Robynn for going to 'look' at the structure before
offering your comments :o)  It's difficult for people who cannot see
what they're speaking about to offer truly constructive advice.

Robynn commented:
>Just wanted to pop my two cents in about the indoor/outdoor ferret issue
>because I think a couple of things have been misconstrued.  I don't find
>it all surprising that people in Europe keep their ferrets in outdoor
>enclosures, many of these are working ferrets and their owners take very
>good care of them, and build them nice big play areas and warm hutches and
>housing to protect them from the weather.  I also know, at least in
>Britain, the climate is temperate and more prone to be overcast than
>scorching hot.

Okay, yes, ferrets in Europe are often working animals, but they're also
often just 'pets' like American ferrets.  My own animals have never worked
a day in their lives, and think themselves hard off because of it ;o)
They're busy making up for it my destroying my room :o0

Ferrets CAN and do thrive in hotter temperatures.  I know of many ferrets
who spend their lives outdoors in Australia, whose temperatures often reach
into the high 90's - early 100's.  If that isn't hot I dunno what is! ;o)
As long as they're acclimatised have plenty of shade and air movement,
ferrets do remarkably well.

>I live in Raleigh, where the girl in the first post (whose father won't
>let her keep the ferrets even in the garage), lives.  <snip>

It's good to see that you looked, is it possible you can see the owner and
her father and explain to them how they can improve the cage so that it is
safe?  Or convince the father to allow the ferrets at least in the garage?
Now, I don't consider my ferrets to be 'smelly' but even ferrets have a
natural musky odour, and some people just plain don't like it :o(  So, it
could be bad care... or it could be that the father is just sensitive to
the scent.  Well, I don't know how sturdy the wire to that cage is, but my
ferrets outdoor cage is a wire cage, and even a full grown rottweiler can't
get into it.  (I know, a rotti attacked the cage before I had ferrets, and
it's well and truly standing still, as well as previously having been used
for a dogs' run) My outdoor cage has a wire roof as well, on which I have
laid a covering to keep out wind and rain from a majority of the cage.  The
temperature inside the cage, for some reason, is more temperate than that
outside the cage despite it being in the open (i.e. warmer in winter cooler
in summer).  Don't ask me how it works ;o) I just know it works!!

All of your comments are legitimate concerns, and maybe something that can
be raised with the father... Thanks again for passing on the information
on this particular cage, it's good to know people are watching out for the
fuzzies.

It still doesn't detract from the fact that on the whole, outdoor caging
is not bad for ferrets.  If the owner is responsible and has responsible
caging, they can thrive in the outdoor conditions.

Sam