From:
Kim Hastings <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Feb 1999 03:16:06 -0700
If yer weasel likes to take an occasional chomp out of passing toes, etc.,
try bitter apple.  I went through a period when I sprayed my feet and
ankles every night before going to bed to break the lick-lick-chomp cycle.
It's been so long now since I've experienced the pointy feeling of ferret
teeth that I can't even remember where the bitter apple is anymore.
(Bitter apple was developed to discourage dogs from chewing on things.  It
can be found in pet stores.  The bitter flavor is in an alcohol base that
evaporates quickly and leaves no residue to speak of.)

For ferrets that nip only a certain person, consider whether that person
is using a unique soap, lotion, perfume, etc. that the ferret may be
reacting to.

If your ferret is young (like 11 weeks), give it time.  Remember how
long it takes puppies to get past their teething stage.  You can try to
discipline them if you're a control freak, but they'll generally grow out
of it either way.  Just saying "OW!" and pulling back is enough to let
them know you that you don't like it.  It's not like ferrets are dumb or
anything....

-- Kim & five house otters