From:
"Melissa A. Durfee" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Dec 1998 22:48:26 +0000
Assuming that one accepts the premise that ferrets should be kept as pets,
I think we should support responsible private breeders over "ferret mills"
like Marshall Farms and Path Valley.  The big breeding farms rely on
impulse purchases at pet stores for their income; I would guess that these
purchases represent the majority of surrenders at shelters.

Responsible private breeders are those who treat their breeding stock as
pets.  The kits are handled and socialized, they are not released until
they are ready to leave their mother, and they are not neutered so early
that it effects normal growth.  Prospective owners are scrutinized for
suitability and educated in ferret care.  A contract ensures that if the
ferret must be surrendered it will be returned to the breeder.

Isn't this the kind of atmosphere we WANT first-time ferret owners to
experience?  Of course, if you fundamentally disagree with the concept of
keeping ferrets as pets (or keeping pets at all), then you would have to
oppose all breeding operations, even the responsible ones.

-mel