From:
"Megan O'Shaughnessy, D.C." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Dec 1998 00:00:18 -0800
The town I've moved to barely warrants the name "town".  Burgh or hamlet
MIGHT fit the bill: the population here is just under 400 people.  (The
town where I work is substantially larger.) It's way out in the boondocks.

But you know what?  There is AMPLE room to do ferret publicity work here.
There is only one store, which doubles as a gas station and movie rental
place.  Small as it is, it's "town central." And I have repeatedly brought
one or another of my three ferrets with me when I go shopping at that store.

Result: 3 weeks after I move in, my kids are celebrities.

The store owner and his wife know them by name.  His granddaughter wants a
ferret.  (Okay, Loki's hard to resist!  <G>) The local loggers and farmers
regale me with hunting stories and ask me about ferret feces as a rat
repellant (which I disabuse them of)...then the stories fade away and they
start petting my kid (okay, one of the 2 boys; my nippy girl stays at home)
and marvelling at the soft fur and wondering "do they bite?" "what do they
eat" "how long do they live?" etc., and laughing when the fuzzbutt weezils
his way into the grocery sack or tries to sniff the store's stock of donuts
through their covered box.

Every little bit helps.

(WA-state) Megan & the Terrific, Store-lovin' fuzzbutt Trio
  Grover (I'll take one of those hot-dogs, please!)
  Onyx (I never get to go anywheres! *POUT* *chomp*)
  Loki (Come here, little girl.... want some candy?!?!?)