From:
Laurie LaFave <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Nov 1998 16:29:01 EST
I have had ferrets for 14 years.  My 3 year old MF female albino, Chaos,
has just been diagnosed with diabetes.  I was wondering if anyone on this
list has ever had a diabetic ferret, since this is so rare.  My vet has
never treated one.  I have to give her insulin shots twice a day, and
monitor her ketone (which are gone!) and glucose levels by urine tests.
Who says ferrets are not smart?  She knows what I want her to do when I put
her in the litter box that has nothing in it. :)  Her BG level is still
high, we are up to 8 1/2 units twice a day.  I know a human can inject up
to 70 units, does anyone know the maximum for a ferret?

By the way, her symptoms were just like an insulinomic ferret, lethargic,
not eating, etc.  Her BG when the vet tested her the first time was 680+!
Of course, I have cut out all sugar in her diet, and feed her totally
ferret.

Any suggestions would be deeply appreciated.
Laurie & Chaos