From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Dec 1998 21:29:47 -0500
Pat Stauffer wrote to me a while back mentioning that Charlie Weiss's
current adrenal studies have made a huge difference in two of her ferrets,
including one with related prostate problems.  She also let me know that
Charlie has been funding the study from his own pocket except for certain
of the medicines and testing.  Pat pointed out very correctly that the
portion Charlie Weiss is covering adds up.

My next step was to write to Bruce Williams.  For those rare few who
don't know who Bruce is he is probably the single most respected ferret
pathologist in the world.  He's also a good friend of Charlie's so I knew
that he could find out if it would be alright for ferret owners to help
Charlie with the costs of the study.  Steve and I did not want to send
money if it wasn't needed or would be embarrassing.

If you don't know who Charlie Weiss is, he is a vet who has helped reshape
veterinary care for ferrets.  He's also a regular guy with all the expenses
of someone who had to finance an extended education, maintain a practise,
and support a young family.  You'll remember his name from a number of
studies, including the one which recently changed the surgical approach to
insulinoma -- resulting in longer life spans for those ferrets with it as
well as better quality of life.  The current adrenal study is to help
ferrets which are not surgical candidates.

Steve and I are sending a check to Charlie to help continue the adrenal
studies.  Could you, please, also send one and urge your friends to do the
same?  It doesn't have to be large, any help will be appreciated.

A great many ferrets wind up eventually having adrenal growths.  The
chances are that YOU will have a pet or multiple pets with this somewhere
down the line, and may have one there now.  If you love your ferrets and
care about making sure that these studies are done by the time you need
them, please, send a bit to

Dr. Charlie Weiss/ Adrenal Studies
c/o Potomac Animal Hospital
10020 River Road