From:
Dee Race <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Dec 1998 12:34:33 EST
I just spent an absolutely wonderful 4 days in Washington DC and noted some
ferret-related things along the way.  The worst part was not having Beau
and Nilla with me.  I missed them like crazy.  It astounds me how attached
I am to these loving little creatures and I know you all understand.  There
is absolute "magic" about a ferret.

Traveling with ferrets: I've read the comments on the FML about airlines,
smuggling fuzzies, etc.  I flew Northwest and witnessed a woman traveling
with her cat.  She paid $50 to have it in the cabin with her.  The cat was
"drugged" but meowed all the while in the terminal and on the plane.  I
felt cheated and discriminated against.  Coming home, a woman had her 25
lb. cat on her shoulder while she was carrying an empty carrier.  I don't
do New Years Resolutions but investigating this issue with the airlines is
my New Years Resolution for 1999.

Someone mentioned black-footed ferret stuffed toys at the Smithsonian, and
I found them (13-inches) at the Natural History Museum gift shop.  There
are only 2 left now...... $18.95.  I browsed the Zoo Store at Union Station
and found the same stuffed toys for $21.95.  They also had a couple of
little ferret sculptures (poorly painted) for $21.95.  If you see FAIR at a
show, they have beautiful little sculptures.

K & M International Inc. produces the BFF stuffed toy.  The card was
interesting. It reads:

"Black-Footed Ferret
This mink like creature lives in the dry, arid plains of North America, and
is one of the rarest of North American mammals.  The primary food of the
ferret is prairie dogs, which have been over hunted, driving the ferret to
near extinction.  Ferrets will eat other small rodents when necessary, but
prefer the prairie dog which can also provide a home for the ferret.

Ferrets hunt prairie dogs by following them to their holes and either
pulling them out or following them into the dwelling.  The ferret will
often take over the dwelling, altering it or enlarging it as desired.

The young are typically born in late spring and early summer, usually in
old prairie dog nests.  Females may have 3 to 5 babies.

Black-footed Ferrets blend in their environments well, and are
yellowish-brown with black feet and tails.  They are similar in size,
shape and coloring to weasels, and are excellent and ruthless hunters.

Conservationists are making attempts to protect and restore the ferret
population in the Western states of North America. South Dakota is making
particular efforts in this area."

I thought this was a rather nice "BFF 101" piece.

Brought my little BFF home for Beau & Nilla and I can add their
indifference to it to chew weasels and the new ferret ball with treats
inside.  Beau was thrilled with the roll of toilet paper I hid for him in
my suitcase.  Nilla enjoyed the plastic bag the BFF came in.  Go figure.

BTW, someone on the FML asked when National Ferret Day is.  It's
February 15.

My main disappointment of 1998 was my effort to purchase a ferret tie for
my vet.  I started this venture in February, located Linda Gaylord to do it
for me.  End result: I have over $100 invested in this fiasco and still no
tie.  I'm not real happy about it.

Other than that, I just want to remind you of upcoming GLFA events.

The Great Lakes Ferret Association, in cooperation with Pet Supplies Plus,
announces a Ferret Fun Match and Adoption Option Saturday, January 16, 1999
from 1P - 4P at Pet Supplies Plus, M-24 at K-Mart Plaza in Lapeer, Michigan.

The Adoption Option begins at 10A.  Certification of rabies/distemper shots
mandatory.  Pet check on premises.  For further information, contact Dick
Nelson at 810/653-8415.

Great Lakes Ferret Association announces First Annual Winter Getaway
Weekend FERRET FUN MATCH, Saturday, February 6, 1999, 1:00 PM - 4:00 PM, at
PETSMART, 2544 Crossing Circle, Traverse City, Michigan.

Certification of Rabies/Distemper Shots mandatory.  Pet Check on premises.

HOTEL ACCOMMODATIONS: Holiday Inn, 615 E.  Front, Traverse City
Call: 1-800-888-8020 & mention GLFA for special rate (special rate
reservation deadline 1/6/99)

For further information, contact Dee Race 616/776-7783 or e-mail

Note: Any ferret owners from Traverse City, please e-mail me.

Take care,
Dee
Beau & Nilla