Date:
Sun, 20 Dec 1998 14:49:57 -0500
These are responses to some Qs on yesterday's fml (I also sent replies to
individuals who asked)

Petco:
>We are seeing kits as young as 4-6 weeks old in our local pet shops.

People at Petco's corporate office have stated they want to hear complaints
about individual stores; here are names and addresses:

Brian K. Devine
Chairman, President and CEO

Larry D. Asselin
Senior Vice President

Richard C. St. Peter
Executive Vice President, CFO and Secretary

William M. Woodard
Senior Vice President

James M. Myers
Senior Vice President, Finance and CAO

All can be written to c/o:
Petco
9125 Rehco Road
San Diego, CA 92121

 ****
Where to buy the Ferret Calendar:
Borders Bookshops and Barnes and Noble are carrying the Ferret Calendar
this year in case you don't find it at your local shelter

 ****
Cats and Ferrets:
>My husband wants to get a cat, preferrably a kitten (which I think is
>great so Gabby can have a playmate) ... Also, out of those of you who have
>cats, how many of those cats are declawed and how many of you have to keep
>the animals seperate so that neither get hurt?

I have 7 cats and 8 ferrets.  In my opinion the cats are much more likely
to be bothered by the ferrets.

It also depends on the individual cats and ferrets.  A number of people on
the fml seem to have good luck introducing a young cat or kitten who is
more likely to want to play with the ferret.  I would choose an outgoing
cat rather than a shy one as a companion for a ferret.  A good shelter can
help you choose a suitable cat.

Most of my cats are older and don't especially like the ferrets.  Some of
my ferrets are ok with the cats, but some will jump on the cats and bite
them.  I know some people on the fml find this amusing, I honestly don't;
I think it is stressful for the cats (how many people really enjoy being
bitten by their ferrets?) Even my biggest, most aggressive cats will only
take an occasional swat at the ferrets, which the ferrets more than deserve.

I let the ferrets who are good with the cats mix with them; otherwise, I
keep them separate.  None of my cats are declawed.  If you would like more
info on declawing, please see:

<http://www.wicatclub.com/cccope.html> or
<http://www.wicatclub.com/cope_claw.html>
"The truth about declawing"

A lot of declawed cats end up being biters since they have lost their
natural means of defense.  I honestly think declawing a cat is extremely
cruel.

--Ronnie in Mass.