From:
Diane Burman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Dec 1998 10:58:03 -0500
First I would like to thank all of the kind, wonderful folks who have taken
the time to email and phone me with advice, support & offers of help in
finding Ethel.  I have taken them all to heart and have done pretty much
everything!  It was two weeks ago yesterday that she slipped out and it's
been 12 days since any reported sighting.  I will continue on for some time
more still.  My rational mind doesn't believe she's out there anymore (I'm
praying someone has taken her in & it hasn't gotten back to me) but my
heart won't let me stop looking & hoping.

I've been amazed and saddened by the number of phone calls and emails I've
received from people asking me if I will take their ferrets. :-(   Some
folks have done so with the best of intentions thinking that taking in
their unwanted pets will fill the whole in my heart.  For those people, I
appreciate what they are trying to do.  I think they mean well.  I wish I
could open my home to all those in need but I'm just one person with a lot
on my "plate" already. Other callers haven't been so nice or compassionate -
some have even practically demanded I come take their ferrets right away.
One in particular just broke my heart & I couldn't get the poor thing out
of my mind.  Finally after 2 days of making myself crazy (well...crazier,
I'm already crazy over Ethel) I called & rescued sweet thing.  She's a
stunning dark silver who hasn't been loved in a long time, if indeed she
ever was.  She's 3yo, purchased from a local mall petshop (thankfully no
longer in business) & given as a surprise gift to a 14yo who never wanted
her.  This sweet thing is an *excellent* example for why a pet should
*never* be a surprise!  She has never received *any* veterinary care,
including never being vaccinated in all of those 3 years with one horrible
exception.  Six months ago they rushed her to the vet because she'd
collapsed - turns out she hadn't had any water for days!  Her water bottle
was plugged & no one noticed.  (Didn't they see the level in the bottle
wasn't changing?  Didn't they rinse & refill everyday?).  Sheesh - the poor
thing must have been rattling the bottle constantly - how come they didn't
even notice that!?  Some Sub-Q fluids apparently fixed her up.  She's spent
her entire life in a small carrier with nothing in it but cedar shavings
(and we all know what a no-no that is).  No blankets, no sleep sacks or
hammock, no toys. :-(  She's been feed generic kitten kibble for the entire
time & when I arrived to pick her up she was eating like she was starved
which I believe is true.  My guess is that she hadn't been fed very often.
Upon arrival home she only weighed in at 1lb yet structurally she's easily
as large as my 2lbers.  She's just nothing but bones and coarse fur.  I've
never seen nails so long either.  So far she seems incredibly sweet and
alert despite her rough past.  I'm hoping with lots of good food she will
regain her health & learn what a joy it is to be a ferret.  BTW, the kid
who'd owned her named her Meg.  Not sure if we'll be keeping that name
though since we have a Golden Retriever named Megan who is usually called
Meg.

Again, thanks to everyone for their support these past 2 weeks.  I wish all
a joyous & peaceful (and healthy!) holiday season.

Diane & the gang

[Moderator's note: I'm assuming (rather, hoping) that Meg's former "owners"
contacted you because of your flyers and that they weren't FMLers.  Please
tell me so!  BIG]