From:
Z zzzzzzz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Dec 1998 07:01:12 PST
Bob wrote:
"Ermine are symbolic of royalty, honor, purity, nobility, justice,
moderation, chastity, attribute of royalty, judges, lawyers and vergin
saints (St. Ursula), and the personification of Touch and Chastity.  An
ermine in a portrait alludes to the subject's virtue, and on a herald
refers to prudence, courage, cleanliness, dignity and sovereignty."

As an addendum to this, take a look at da Vinci's Portrait of Woman with
Ermine for a tongue in cheek use of this symbolism.  According to an art
book on da Vinci (sorry, don't have the real ref. on me), the woman in
the portrait is the mistress of a married nobleman who commissioned the
portrait.  da Vinci could get away with the ermine in the painting because
it was part of the nobleman's heraldic ensignia, but he was also making a
subtle reference to the lack of virtue in the subject... but hey, we all
know it's a big muscley ferret anyway, right?  ;)

Regina

Regina Harrison
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Lofts/1083
Electra the Brujah's page:
http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Labyrinth/8096

You will find me if you want me in the garden,
unless it's pouring down with rain...
--EN