From:
Bob Church <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Dec 1998 02:57:03 -0600
For the last week, there has been quite a bit of talk regarding my comments
that shelters can cause as many problems as they are attempting to solve.
I pointed out 14 different problems I had noticed in shelters across the
USA and Canada.  I was careful to point out not all shelters had these
problems, which may or may not have been understood, and I suggested that
we band our vast knowledge together to define the problem, discuss *WHY* it
is a problem, and then to offer suggestions.  Realizing each problem was
probably manifested in unique ways, I thought the vast knowledge base of
the FML could offer enough solution-possibilities so that people could
select the one best suited for their individual needs.

While I was disappointed at the tenor of some of the remarks made about me,
I expected and was prepared for it.  After all, I made remarks that seemed
to violate the very purpose of the shelter system, and it naturally caused
some hard working people to react with their emotions, rather than their
minds.  It *IS* hard to hear that something you work hard in and deeply
believe in, to come under attack by someone who has even a minor amount of
credbility.  As one person said, "When reading your words, I felt like a
friend had unexpectantly died, and my first reaction was one of deep hurt."
And that is to be expected; it is quite common for the first reactions to
such an emotional shock to be disbelief, followed by anger.  But, I knew
that if we could ride out the inital storm of protest, it would be slowly
followed by gradual--perhaps reluctant--acceptance of the facts.  Finally,
it would be followed by scores of people mobilizing to offer insights and
suggestions, synthesizing a data base that can be used by all to positively
improve the shelter environment for our ferrets.

I recieved 116 emails regarding my remarks, most of which I have answered.
Of them, *9* were negative.  Only 9, and many duplicated the posts on the
FML as well.  Of the remainder, 11 emails bluntly asked me if I was talking
about them, to which I honestly replied "no." It was an honest reply--even
if they might *HAVE* some of the problems I spoke about--because I wasn't
speaking of an individual shelter, but rather of shelters as a whole.  I
did this because even though it was a generalization, it was a *FACTUAL*
generalization.  The things I spoke of were real, causing the problems I
discussed, and many of the "attaboy" emails I recieved came from people
working in shelters having problems similar to those I mentioned.  Not many
of them posted to the FML, and why should they?  Look at the way I was
treated; can you imagine what might have been said to someone who admitted
they belonged to such a shelter?  As one person wrote, "Thank-you so much
for saying the things you did....I'm sorry I didn't support you in the FML
but I am afraid of what some people might do."

By naming names or mentioning shelters, people would have tended to punish
the individuals; ignoring the fact that all shelters have these problems--
to one degree or another--sooner or later in their lifetimes.  Individuals
would have been punished, but nothing would have been done to change the
rest of the system.  So, ferrets, perhaps in *YOUR* town, would be
sentenced to repeating the same problems over and over again in some sort
of macabe cycle where problems are not cured, but people are punished for
having them.  That's not progess; its stagnation, and to allow it to occur
simply because someone else may not have those problems, or who may
disagree those problems exist, is unethical and immoral.

Now we have the chance to really do something good.  Weekly, a question
will be posted, one which is a problem that is faced by shelters.  Shortly
after the question is posted, I shall post why I think it is a problem,
offering evidence or explaining the background to the problem.  In that
post, I shall offer *NO* solutions at all; it will only be a discussion of
the problem.  I will offer solutions, but like you, I shall email them for
editing and reposting to the FML.  That's important, because many of us
will have identical solutions, and it can clog the FML if too many say the
same thing.  It is much better to have all the solutions edited into a
single list and posted at one time.

I encourage all of you to respond favorably to the questions and offer your
best solutions.  See this for what it is; a chance to make progress.  A
chance to sidestep the problems that have plagued other types of animal
shelters.  And most of all, a chance to make ferret lives better.

Bob C and 20 MO' Degenerate Poledoggies