From:
"Marge S." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Dec 1998 15:41:02 -0600
I came home from work Friday afternoon and there was a message on my voice
mail.  "I got your name from the Granite City APA.  I have 3 ferrets someone
dumped on my neighbors porch.  They are in a box... "  I returned the call
but the gentleman was a truck driver, I was told later by his wife and the
ferrets were taken in by the APA.  It's now 6 PM and I called the APA and
left a message.

This morning, 8:15AM, the director of the APA returns the call and says
"Please come pick them up".  I drive out there fully remembering that is
the area where the inhumane breeder resides.  I was not prepared for what
I picked up.

The female's abdomen was extended and hard.  She was very weak and half
bald.  The albino male had a outgrowth where the penis should be.  The mutt
appeared normal.  I had a call already in to my vet.

As the tears flow and my heart aches, the little female (I had named Hope)
was sent across the bridge.  Where the abdomen and intestines were suppose
to be were nothing but masses of tumors, and enlarged spleen with an
outgrowth that extended the length of the the abdomen.  I named her Hope.
She was figured to be about 7 - 8 years old.

The Lone Ranger (albino) with an outgrowth at the same area of the penis is
fine.  The vet figures that at some point the penis got caught and wasn't
taken care of.  He is still able to pee.  He may eventually need to have
reconstructive surgery for the urethra.

Patches (mutt) is true to form as all mutts are.  The best of all breeds.
He has responded to food and is improving.

Both males are about 4 years old.  Both were probably breeders as there
still is orange in their coats.  Sunday morning, I will take them to the
Thieves Haven, where my girl friend Vikki can monitor and take care of them.

Thank you all.
Margie