From:
"Hudson, Jennifer" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Dec 1998 13:32:12 -0500
This is my first Xmas as a ferret owner (11 months into the addiction).  I
currently have 6 fuzzies (we are scouting shelters for #7).  This might be
a stupid question, but I'd rather be stupid than sorry!

I am aware of the obvious problems with exposing my ferrets to an Xmas
tree.  They were introduced last night and found the large tree stand to
make an excellent bath and drinking fountain!  Not to mention tunneling
under the skirt and knocking over the train set.  All of which I found
amusing!  I have taken to restricting their daily romp area to my bedroom
and dressing room (they have free run for about 5 hours a day during the
week).  But, I would love to have them out and about for special visitors
and to 'open' their presents on Christmas morning.  Is there anything I
should be concerned about with an Xmas tree outside of the obvious dangers
of the lights, knocking ornaments off, climbing, getting stuck by pine
needles, etc.?  I am more worried about any reactions they might have to
the water (I don't add preservatives or anything) or chomping on the
needles/trunk?  My cats have always drank from the tree stand, but as a
new ferret owner, I'm curious about any problems with fuzzies?

Thanks!
Jennifer and Gang