Date:
Wed, 9 Dec 1998 03:31:37 -0500
My little girl Yoshi went through the same thing a couple of years ago when
her playmate Silk died.  I was convinced that she had contracted some kind
of awful disease.  It's good that you are ruling this out with your vet for
Fidgit.

After awhile, I realized that Yoshi was grieving for her lost buddy.  She
stopped eating and slept all the time, didn't play at all.  It was like she
was laying down to die herself.  Needless to say, she lost a lot of weight
very quickly.

I couldn't stand the thought of losing both of my little buddies so close
to together.  So in desperation, I started syringe feeding Yoshi.  I feed
her a syringe full of chicken baby food about three times a day, sometimes
more.  I bought her a heating pad which I covered generously with terry
cloth towels.  I also feed her two syringes full of pedialyte with every
meal.

Keep in mind that I knew nothing about what to feed sick ferrets at the
time.  If the same thing happened now, I would probably use canned A/D
instead of baby food.  Perhaps some one else on the FML can suggest a
better diet.  I think that it is important just to make sure that Fidgit
is getting *something* in her stomach for the next couple of days.

Anyway, that was four years ago.  Yoshi is now a very healthy six year
old who still keeps up with her four younger buddies.  I also bought a
new ferret ,Claudia, to keep Yoshi busy, but she literally tried to kill
Claudia for the first two weeks they were together.  I was on the verge of
taking Claudia back, but my husband talked me out of it.  I'm glad he did
because Yoshi and Claudia formed a very close friendship that lasted for
three years until Claudia died.

If I can be of any further help to you, please let me know.
Britta