From:
susan king <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Dec 1998 21:46:27 -0600
I don't post often, and usually it is for a peaceful discussion.  I do
however understand screening, devils advocate I guess.  I know personally
of a ferret that was adopted out, child was 9, parents permission, the
child "forgot" to feed the ferret, the parents complained about it not
eating (communication problem)which caused a very sweet boy to bite (no
blood or broken skin by the way) so the father kicked the ferret across
the room and returned it brain damaged and wanted his adoption fees back.
End of story, but it is my reason for believing in a certain amount of
screening.  Now as for medical treatment, that is also tough, I knew a
man who thought people were stupid for going ahead with a downs syndrome
pregnancy, till he met Tommy, now he feels really stupid.  I also know that
if I took any animal in, as in sheltering the animal, it would be sheltered
from hunger, thirst, illness and abuse, I could not or would not be able to
use the term "shelter" if it were conditional on the perfection of the
ferret.  We choose to have these animals as our pets, they are our
responsibility.

susan and her now 5