From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Dec 1998 11:11:09 -0500
The top candy cane elf once again approached Santa, "Errrrr, sir?  They've
done it again!"

"Oh, NO!  Exclaimed Santa sagging into his rocker.  If this kept up they
would never produce enough candy canes by Christmas.  Sadly he looked over
at the trees which had been laden with candy canes.  Their branches had
been stripped bare and Santa knew that each and every cane was now licked,
chewed, covered with lint, and stashed beneath a bed or behind a chest.
The magic candy cane pines were almost exhausted but he had to ask them
to try yet again.  How would he ever protect them?  How would he make the
children's happy?

His sorry musings were interrupted by a knock at the door.  There was a
raindeer, smiling a sly grin who quickly pushed forward a curly haired
kind-looking gent.  "Noticed that you have a problem, Boss!  Here is
someone who can help you, the best of moderators!  Let me show you!"  With
that the moderator went to work, and immediately Santa's ferrets found that
they preferred climbing and licking the man instead of the trees and candy.
"That's because he's so extra sweet," commented the raindeer, knocking a
decoration from the top of the nearest candy cane pine so that it landed
smack-dab on top of the moderator's head.

Those was born the tradition of the ferret-angel being worn as a hat by the
FML Moderator, Bill Gruber.
---

Now, actually, we all know that this tradition began when Chere presented
Bill with a ferret angel tree topper at the FML 10th reunion and some
wise-acre in the group suggested that he should wear it, but I think my
version works, too.  Don't you?

[Moderator's note: At least you didn't tell them about the dancing on the
table with the lampshade incident... BIG]