Date:
Sat, 5 Dec 1998 10:11:29 -0800
One of the hardest things to do, is to read the FML, knowing that there
will be, more than likely, messages telling us of a loss of a loved ferret.

I know how I felt in each of my losses, spaced a year apart but still felt
with all my emotions 2 and 3 years later.

Then, A very good friend, Sam Young, tells me that one of her ferrets,
Podo, is missing.  The tightening of my chest is as strong as it would have
been if one of my babies had disappeared.  It has been several weeks now
and I still play the "I wonder where she is" thought scenarios in my head.

Night before last, Sam tells me that Slinky, mother ferret to some of the
Magnificent 7 that came to the U.S. last May, was gravely ill.  Another
pit in my stomach.  Slinky then went in for surgery the next day.
Apparently, the infection from the dead babies inside her was too much and
Slinky passed away sometime yesterday.  I was heartbroken...and I have
never seen her in person, but having held (And been bitten by! <GRIN>) her
babies and knowing her human, Sam, the loss was as if she were mine.  I was
(And still am) devastated.

Sammy, I am so sorry.  Your pain is my pain, my tears are as heavy as they
were when Bubba and Billy-Bob left me.

It is said that good and bad are partners in life.  So it seems..when
Billy-Bob left me, Snork came into my life as an undersized, too early
weaned kit that had no chance of surviving.  He is my big boy now, Mr.
Sweetheart.  For Sam, this strange relationship between sorrow and
happiness has come in one day as well..as Slinky was preparing to leave
this world, Baby was preparing to bring forth 9 new lives, to entertain
Sam, to keep Sam's mind off Slinky, to occupy Sam's waking hours with the
constant reminder of new life..9 squeeking kits.  Life is so strange.

Hug your babies in memory of Slinky..maybe spoil them just a little bit
with a lick of milk, or an extra raisin, or an extra squirt of Ferretone.
Think good thoughts that will help being Podo safely home.

Damn, I hate it when these things happen.  Sam, you have given us so much
over the years, now it is our turn to console you.  Bless you..and keep
your chin up kiddo!

MC,  The Sad One